We commit to protect and enhance our town’s resources— environmental and economic.
We serve in an advisory capacity, making recommendations to the Town Board.
We work to encourage, enact, and quantify local efforts to address climate change, its causes and the effects on our municipality.
We seek to empower Austerlitz residents in the face of ecological stress.
We invite meaningful action toward adaptation and prevention.
We offer support. Our goal is to assist the town in building a more resilient and livable future.
Across New York State dramatic efforts are underway to meet the goals of Governor Cuomo’s 2019 Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA). The state established a system of broad, win-win goals to meet the challenges confronting us all. The Climate Smart Communities and Clean Energy Communities Programs are guides for municipalities to take part in these efforts, while building safer, healthier and wealthier communities.
The CLCPA mandates that:
- 70% of all of New York’s electricity must come from renewable sources by 2030
- 100% zero emissions generated by 2040
- By 2050 New York must be working toward a 100% carbon neutral economy
Implementation of the CLCPA will trigger heavy investment in disadvantaged communities, create tens of thousands of new jobs and improve public health and quality of life. What is NY doing about Climate Change?
Climate Committee Member
Climate Smart Task Force Member
Columbia County Planning Board Member
Climate Committee Member
Town Board Member
- The Austerlitz Climate Committee works on several different types of projects that draw down carbon and enhance the resilience of our town and residents.
- Projects include community events, enhancing conservation and working toward achieving actions in New York State’s Clean Energy Communities program.
- Committee members serve in an advisory capacity, making recommendations to the Town Board.
- Are you interested in collaborating on projects that enhance sustainability and regeneration in Austerlitz? Would you like to propose or lead a project? Come to a meeting to find out what we’re up to and learn how you can help!
- The Climate Committee meets every third Wednesday of the month at 7PM. Meetings are open to the public and residents are welcome to attend. They take place at Town Hall (downstairs) or on zoom, depending on the current Covid guidelines. You will receive a notice by email if you sign up here.
- To read Climate Committee meeting minutes click here.
Climate Smart Communities Task Force
- The Austerlitz Climate Smart Communities Task Force solely focuses on achieving actions in New York State’s Climate Smart Communities program.
- The Task Force is led by the Austerlitz CSC Task Force Coordinator.
- CSC Task Force members serve in an advisory capacity, making recommendations to the Town Board.
Interested in joining the Task Force? Fill out this form.