Local organizations that welcome volunteers:
- Appalachian Trail – Build shelters, monitor the trail corridor, protect rare plants, develop management plans for individual sections.
- Camphill Village – Improve the lives of adults with developmental differences by helping with biodynamic gardening, tending livestock, and farm chores.
- Cary Institute – Map aquatic vegetation from a kayak, monitor native plant communities, educate kids.
- Cornell Cooperative Extension, Columbia Greene – Nature based volunteer opportunities.
- Hawthorne Valley – Take biological field inventories, study native bees, identify bat calls, help in the native plant garden.
- Scenic Hudson – Maintain and monitor trails, become a citizen scientist, more.